is a non-profit association, but first and foremost a worldwide movement of people committed to restoring the right value to food by respecting those who produce it, in harmony with the environment and starting from knowledge of local territories and traditions.
Slow Food Travel
is a Slow Food project that aims to develop and promote a sustainable travel experience in line with the Slow Food philosophy. The project focuses on food, its processing and producers, which form the basis for all tourism activities. The interaction between different sectors such as agriculture, gastronomy and the hotel industry as well as trade and crafts is important. The project aims to develop a travel experience based on the promotion of local gastronomic, agricultural and cultural biodiversity through intensive visitor participation. Slow Food Travel promises the careful preparation of traditional dishes from high-quality raw materials combined with warm hospitality.
It was therefore natural for Slow Food to work together with the valley's many artisan producers, skilled restaurateurs and impeccable hoteliers to create South Tyrol's first Slow Food Travel destination. During the themed "Slow Food Travel Days" from 21st to 29th May 2022
, the Villnöss valley will receive certification as the first Slow Food Travel Destination in South Tyrol. This joyful event will be framed by a varied programme throughout the week: join us on a journey to the roots of good taste. Degustaste the delicacies our region has to offer and experience the ancient history of our food: a story of tradition, passion and careful selection of raw materials.
Slow Food Travel - Speciality Week Spring 21.05. - 29.05.22
Nature is awakening from its hibernation, blossoming and sprouting as far as the eye can see - this is spring here in the Dolomite Valley of Villnöss! The innkeepers would like to interpret this time also gastronomically and invite you to the Speciality week in spring, which will take place from 21st to 29th May 2022 in different restaurants in the valley. The restaurants welcome you with traditional delicacies typical of Villnöss valley. The dishes have been reinterpreted and refined; the focus is on regional products.
- Biodiversity - The variety of life - Special exhibition as part of the Slow Food Travel Days: Biodiversity is defined as the “variety of life” on earth. From the genetic diversity, to the variety of species, to the variety of ecosystems. This variety determines the uniqueness of our planet and is the very basis of our existence. However, this precious treasure is under threat. The loss of biological variability has never been as fast as in recent years.
- Wine & Soils - Special exhibition at the Mineral Museum Teis: The Eisack Valley offers unique geological conditions for wine growing. The mineral soils around Teis produce a very fresh, fruity wine with filigree acidity and high mineral content. Tasting point of wines from the Eisacktal Winery in the museum.
As part of the Slow Food Travel Days, numerous guided activities are offered in Villnöss valley. Take the opportunity to discover local products and learn stories about the people and places behind them.
Reservations are required for the guided activities.
- Monday, 23.05.2022:Vineyard tour with agronomist followed by wine tasting (Kellerei Eisacktal)
- Tuesday, 24.05.2022: Guided herb walk
- Wednesday, 25.05.2022: Slow Food Travel - discover the taste of wine
- Thursday, 26.05.2022: Slow Food Farmer Tasting in Teis
- Friday, 27.05.2022: Slow Food Travel - Spending time in the nature
The first Slow Food Travel Destination in South Tyrol
In the authentic Villnöss valley, the farming culture and sustainability can be perceived through the lifestyle of the local population. The wide range of activities and culinary delights using local produce offer ideal conditions for nature lovers seeking deceleration in the midst of the mountain world.
It was therefore natural for Slow Food to work with the many artisan producers, skilled restaurateurs and impeccable hoteliers of Villnöss valley to create the first Slow Food Travel Destination in South Tyrol, highlighting the special features of a gastronomy that is unique in terms of quality and sustainability. A process that has made it possible to combine the many excellent products of Villnöss valley and develop a sustainable gastronomic travel experience. Slow Food Travel promises the careful preparation of traditional dishes from high-quality ingredients combined with warm hospitality.
The Slow Food Travel Days will conclude with the official presentation and signing of the Slow Food Travel certification to the Villnöss destination on Saturday, 28th May 2022
. The Villnöss Valley can now call itself the first Slow Food Travel Destination in South Tyrol. This joyful event will be framed by musical entertainment and a farmers' market with tasting points. The member businesses of Slow Food Travel Villnöss will present their unique local products and invite you to taste them. Celebrate with us and come and enjoy good, clean and fair food